by State, Type of Weapon, 2006
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- This table provides the type of weapons used in murder offenses. The data are based on the aggregated data from agencies within each state for which supplemental homicide data (i.e., weapon information) were reported to the FBI. The table also includes a breakdown of the types of firearms used in murders (i.e., handguns, rifles, shotguns, or unknown firearms).
- The data in this table were collected via the UCR Program’s Supplementary Homicide Report (SHR), the monthly law enforcement report submitted by agencies concerning homicides. This report details victim and offender characteristics, circumstances, weapons used, etc.
- The SHR data submitted by Florida and Washington, D.C., did not meet UCR guidelines and were not included in this table.
- Limited SHR data were submitted by Illinois.
- The data used in creating this table were from all law enforcement agencies submitting supplemental homicide data for 2006.
- The weapon totals are aggregated from all murders for which the FBI received supplemental homicide date for calendar year 2006.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.