Table 72, Data Declaration
Full-time Law Enforcement Employees, Range in Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, by Population Group, 2005
Download Data Declaration
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- All information in this table is as of October 31, 2005.
- This table includes the number of agencies that fall within specified rate ranges of employment for law enforcement personnel, both sworn officers and civilian employees.
- The UCR Program defines law enforcement officers as individuals who ordinarily carry a firearm and a badge, have full arrest powers, and are paid from government funds set aside specifically for law enforcement.
- Civilian employees include personnel such as clerks, radio dispatchers, meter attendants, stenographers, jailers, correctional officers, and mechanics provided that they are full-time employees of the agency.
- The FBI derived the rate of full-time law enforcement employees per population group by first dividing the aggregated total of personnel for the group by the aggregated estimated populations covered by the contributing agencies and then multiplying the resulting figure by 1,000.
- Agencies with no resident population; i.e., those associated with universities and colleges (see Table 79), other agencies (see Table 81), and some state agencies; are excluded from this table. Therefore, the total number of agencies used in this table differs from that provided in other Law Enforcement Employee tables.
The FBI calculated 2005 state growth rates using revised 2004 state/national population estimates and 2005 provisional state/national population estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. The FBI then estimated population figures for city and county jurisdictions by applying the 2005 state growth rate to the updated 2004 U.S. Census Bureau data.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.