For Immediate Release
September 21, 2010
FBI National Press Office
FBI Releases Bank Crime Statistics for Second Quarter of 2010
During the second quarter of 2010, there were 1,146 reported violations of the Federal Bank Robbery and Incidental Crimes Statute, a decrease from the 1,304 reported violations in the same quarter of 2009.1 According to statistics released today by the FBI, there were 1,135 robberies, 11 burglaries, zero larcenies, and one extortion of financial institutions2 reported between April 1, 2010 and June 31, 2010.
Highlights of the report include:
- Loot was taken in 91 percent of the incidents, totaling more than $8.4 million.
- Of the loot taken, 21 percent of it was recovered. More than $1.3 million was recovered and returned to financial institutions.
- Bank crimes most frequently occurred on Friday. Regardless of the day, the time frame when bank crimes occurred most frequently was between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Acts of violence were committed in 5 percent of the incidents, resulting in 23 injuries, five deaths, and nine persons being taken hostage.3
- Oral demands and demand notes 4 were the most common modus operandi used.
- Most violations occurred in the Western region of the U.S., with 403 reported incidents.
These statistics were recorded as of August 10, 2010. Note that not all bank crimes are reported to the FBI, and therefore the report is not a complete statistical compilation of all bank crimes that occurred in the U.S.
View the entire report and learn more about the FBI at www.fbi.gov.
1 In the second quarter of 2009, there were 1,278 robberies, 19 burglaries, seven larcenies, and zero extortions reported.
2 Financial institutions include commercial banks, mutual savings banks, savings and loan associations, and credit unions.
3 One or more acts of violence may occur during an incident.
4 More than one modus operandi may have been used during an incident.
*****Sign up for FBI e-mail alerts at www.fbi.gov by clicking on the red envelopes.*****
Follow the FBI on Twitter @ FBIPressOffice
Press Releases | FBI