Sections and Units in the FBI’s Training Division
Intelligence Training Section
Law Enforcement Programs Section
- Basic Analyst Training Unit: Administers and delivers the new analyst training program and curriculum, including the Intelligence Basis Course for new intelligence analysts and the related basic tools for the execution of courses.
- Advanced Analyst Training Unit: Administers and delivers coursework related to the Intelligence Community Advanced Analyst Program, analytic leadership courses, and other advanced curriculum at the FBI Academy and community schools like the National Academy, interagency partnering schools, and the National Intelligence University network.
- HUMINT Operations Training Unit: Administers and delivers critical HUMINT (Human Intelligence) collection training and tradecraft and other intelligence program training related to source development and collection in support of the FBI’s criminal investigative and national security missions.
New Agents Training Programs Section
- Law Enforcement Communications Unit: Provides communication information and training to the law enforcement community and publishes the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, the most widely read law enforcement publication of its kind in the world.
- National Academy Unit: Manages a professional course of study for U.S. and international law enforcement leaders that serves to improve the administration of justice and to raise law enforcement standards, knowledge, and cooperation worldwide.
- International Training and Assistance Unit: Develops training programs for international law enforcement agencies to successfully combat and prevent terrorist acts against U.S. citizens and institutions both at home and abroad
- Behavioral Science Unit: Develops and facilitates relevant programs of training, research, and consultation in the behavioral sciences for the Bureau workforce as well as the law enforcement, intelligence, and military communities to further the strategic priorities of the FBI.
- FBI Leadership Development Unit: Provides education and consultation to FBI employees, addressing leadership in the context of domestic an international law enforcement cooperation, intelligence, and counterterrorism.
- Community Leadership Development Unit: Provides education and consultation to external partners, addressing leadership in the context of domestic and international law enforcement cooperation, intelligence, and counterterrorism.
Office of Technology Research and Curriculum Development
- New Agents Training Unit: Through the 20 weeks of training, provides new agent trainees with the basic knowledge, skills, and abilities required to safely and effectively serve the citizens of the United States.
- Practical Applications Unit: Provides new agent trainees, special agents, support employees, and law enforcement officers practical training to enhance their ability to conduct investigations in a safe, effective manner.
- Physical Training Unit: Manages the Bureau’s physical fitness and defensive tactics programs and instructs new agent trainees and National Academy students in defensive tactics and the principles of health and fitness.
- Firearms Training Unit: Trains new agent trainees to shoot all Bureau-issue weapons safely and efficiently and provides advanced firearms training to special agents and task force members in the field.
- Investigative Training Unit: Provides instruction in investigative and intelligence techniques, national security investigations, and case management to new agent trainees, National Academy students, intelligence analysts, and others.
- Defensive Systems Unit: Provides services and equipment/supplies for new agents training; administers the FBI’s weapons, ammunitions, and related equipment programs; and manages procurement to provide reliable mission support.
Resource Management Section
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation Unit: Leads, directs, develops, and evaluates instructionally sound and engaging learning materials to ensure effective learning for the FBI an its criminal justice an intelligence partners.
- Distance Learning Unit: Identifies and uses audio and video productions and web and simulation technology to facilitate self-paced and instructor-led learning to meet training and job performance needs.
- Virtual Academy Unit: Develops, manages, and operates the Virtual Academy, the FBI’s enterprise system for training and reporting that hosts 5,000 online courses.
- FBI Library Unit: Strives to maintain and make available the most complete, up-to-date law enforcement library in the world for Academy students, Training Division staff, FBI personnel, and the law enforcement community.
- Strategic Planning and Policy Unit: Manages and develops plans, procedures, strategies, and resources to support FBI Academy training, accreditation, and Training Division initiatives in alignment with strategic priorities.
- Financial Resources Unit: Supports the training objectives of the Bureau in budget formulation, execution, and reporting.
- Administrative Services Unit: Provides guidance and assistance for resource management and personnel actions and is responsible for Training Division Records Management.
- Training Services Unit: Manages regional conferences and schedules Training Division class and dormitory rooms to support New Agents Training, the National Academy, the Center for Intelligence Training, and in-services.
Overview | FBI Academy home