U.S. Postal Inspection Service
Download Printable Document (PDF)
In 2005, 18 officers with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service were assaulted, and 12 were injured in the attacks.
Type of Activity
Officers with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service were performing the following activities at the time of their attacks:
- 8 of the 18 officers were attempting arrests or were serving summonses when they were attacked.
- 5 officers were on office duty, and 2 officers were performing investigative duties or searches when they were attacked.
- 1 officer was attacked while having custody of a prisoner, and 2 officers were performing other duties.
- 12 officers were accosted with personal weapons such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 4 officers were attacked with firearms.
- 1 officer was attacked with a blunt object.
- 1 officer was threatened with physical harm.
Law enforcement authorities identified suspects in 11 assaults on U.S. Postal Inspection Service officers. Of these:
- 8 suspects were awaiting trial at the time of this report.
- 1 suspect was found guilty.
- 1 suspect was awaiting prosecutive opinion.
- Prosecution was declined for 1 suspect.
If you have questions about these data
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.