Download Printable Document (PDF)
of Justice (DOJ)
In 2005, 162 officers from the DOJ were assaulted, 42 of whom were injured. The following provides information by agency within the DOJ:
- U.S. Marshals Service:
- 103 officers were assaulted, 38 of whom were injured.
- Of the 38 officers injured, 4 were assaulted with firearms.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation:
- 33 officers were assaulted, 2 of whom were injured.
- Of the 2 officers injured, 1 was assaulted with a firearm.
- Drug Enforcement Administration:
- 22 officers were assaulted, 1 of whom was injured with a firearm.
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives:
- 4 officers were assaulted, 1 of whom was injured.
Type of Activity
Officers with the DOJ were performing the following activities at the time of their assaults:
- 75 were attempting arrests or serving summonses.
- 29 officers were maintaining custody of prisoners.
- 24 were performing office duties.
- 12 officers were involved in investigations or searches.
- 10 were on court duty.
- 12 were performing other law enforcement functions.
- 82 of the 162 DOJ officers were assaulted with personal weapons such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 27 officers were assaulted with firearms.
- 17 officers were assaulted with vehicles.
- 3 officers were assaulted with blunt objects.
- 1 officer was assaulted with a knife or cutting instrument.
- 6 officers were assaulted with other types of dangerous weapons.
- 26 officers were threatened with physical harm.
Disposition information was available for only 32 suspects who were identified in the assaults on the 162 DOJ officers. At the time of this report:
- 7 suspects were found guilty, and 16 were awaiting trial.
- 4 suspects had prosecutors who declined to proceed with charges.
- 1 suspect had a prosecutorial opinion pending.
- 4 assailants are deceased.
If you have questions about these data
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.