U.S. Department of
Download Printable Document (PDF)
Homeland Security (DHS)
In 2005, 1,159 officers from the DHS were assaulted, 139 of whom were injured. One officer was killed. The following provides information by agency within the DHS:
- The Bureau of Customs and Border Protection:
- 1,073 officers were assaulted, 75 of whom were injured.
- Of these 75, 5 officers were attacked with firearms.
- The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement:
- 53 officers were assaulted, 51 of whom were injured.
- Of these 51officers, 5 were assaulted with firearms, and 1 was killed.
- The U.S. Secret Service:
- 33 officers were assaulted, 13 of whom were injured.
Type of Activity
Officers from the DHS were performing the following activities at the time of their attacks:
- 963 officers were assigned to patrol or guard duty.
- 105 officers were attempting arrests or serving summonses.
- 20 officers were on office duty.
- 8 officers were involved in investigations or searches.
- 8 officers were maintaining custody of prisoners.
- 4 officers were on protection duty.
- 51 officers were performing a variety of other official tasks.
- 244 of the 1,159 DHS officers were physically confronted by persons using personal weapons such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 125 officers were attacked with firearms.
- 74 officers were assaulted with vehicles.
- 7 officers were attacked with blunt objects.
- 2 officers were attacked with knives or cutting instruments.
- 660 officers were attacked with a variety of other weapons.
- 47 officers were threatened with violence.
Law enforcement officials identified 1,925 suspects in assaults on the 1,159 DHS officers. Disposition information on 80 of these assailants was provided at the time of this report. Of these:
- 4 known assailants were found guilty, and 7 assailants were awaiting trial.
- 18 assailants had charges against them dismissed or were found not guilty.
- 26 attackers were awaiting prosecutorial opinion, and prosecutors declined to press charges against 21 alleged offenders.
- 3 assailants remain at large, and 1 assailant is deceased.
If you have questions about these data
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.