FBI Releases 2006
Hate Crime Statistics
Download Printable Document
Washington, D.C.—Statistics released today by the Federal Bureau of Investigation revealed that 7,722 criminal incidents involving 9,080 offenses were reported in 2006 as a result of bias against a particular race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, or physical or mental disability. Published by the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, Hate Crime Statistics, 2006, includes data from hate crime reports submitted by law enforcement agencies throughout the Nation.
Hate Crime Statistics, 2006, includes the following information:
- Analysis of the 7,720 single-bias incidents by bias motivation showed that
51.8 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 18.9 percent were motivated by a religious bias, 15.5 percent were triggered by a sexual-orientation bias, and 12.7 percent of the incidents were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. One percent involved bias against a disability.
- There were 5,449 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons in 2006. Intimidations accounted for 46.0 percent, simple assaults for 31.9 percent, and aggravated assaults for 21.6 percent. Three murder and nonnegligent manslaughter offenses, as well as 6 forcible rapes, were reported as hate crimes.
- Of the 3,593 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property, the majority (81.0 percent) were acts of damage/destruction/vandalism. The remaining 19.0 percent of crimes against property consisted of robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other crimes.
- According to data for the 7,330 known offenders reported in 2006, 58.6 percent were white, and 20.6 percent were black. The race was unknown for 12.9 percent, and other races accounted for the remaining known offenders.
- The majority (31.0 percent) of hate crime incidents in 2006 occurred in or near residences or homes; followed by 18.0 percent on highways, roads, alleys, or streets; 12.2 percent at colleges or schools; 6.1 percent in parking lots or garages; and 3.9 percent at churches, synagogues, or temples. The remaining 28.8 percent of hate crime incidents occurred at other specified locations, multiple locations, or other/unknown locations.
Back to Top