Hate Crime by Jurisdiction
Download Printable Document (PDF)
Jurisdictional data show aggregate state totals and individual agency breakdowns of bias-motivated incidents that law enforcement agencies reported to the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- In 2005, 12,417 agencies participated in the UCR Program’s hate crime program and submitted 1 to 12 months of data about bias-motivated crime. Of those agencies, 2,037 (16.4 percent) reported 7,163 incidents.
- The remaining 83.6 percent of participating agencies reported that no hate crimes occurred in their jurisdictions in 2005.
- Table 12 shows the following data for each state: the total number of participating agencies, the population represented, the number of agencies submitting data about hate crime incidents, and the number of incidents reported.
- Table 13 lists data from those agencies that reported one or more hate crime incidents.
- Table 14 provides a list of agencies that submitted reports indicating that no instances of hate crimes occurred.
- Tables 13 and 14 present the data alphabetically by state, and each state is subdivided by agency type. Agency types include cities, universities and colleges, metropolitan counties, nonmetropolitan counties, state police agencies, other agencies, and other agencies ―tribal. The data published for universities and colleges represent crime reported only by those individual university/college law enforcement agencies that contributed to the UCR Program; the tables do not include data from educational institutions that reported hate crime data through local law enforcement agencies. Tables 13 and 14 also indicate the number of quarters for which each agency contributed hate crime data to the UCR Program.
- The Methodology section further explains the procedures used to collect, report, and publish these data.
If you have questions about these data
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.