by State, Types of Weapons, 2008
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- This table provides the types of weapons used in murder offenses. The data are based on the aggregated data from agencies within each state for which supplemental homicide data (i.e., weapon information) were reported to the FBI. The table also includes a breakdown of the types of firearms used in murders (i.e., handguns, rifles, shotguns, or firearms [type unknown]).
- The supplemental homicide data submitted by Florida and Washington, D.C., did not meet UCR guidelines and were not included in this table.
- The FBI received limited supplemental homicide data from Illinois.
- The data used in creating this table were from all law enforcement agencies that submitted supplemental homicide data for 2008.
- The weapon totals are aggregated from all murders for which the FBI received supplemental homicide data for calendar year 2008.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.