by State, Type of Weapon, 2007
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR)
- This table provides the type of weapons used in murder offenses. The
data are based on the aggregated data from agencies within each state
for which supplemental homicide data (i.e., weapon information) were
reported to the FBI. The table also includes a breakdown of the types
of firearms used in murders (i.e., handguns, rifles, shotguns, or firearms
- The data in this table were collected via the UCR Program’s Supplementary
Homicide Report (SHR), the monthly law enforcement report submitted by
agencies concerning homicides.
- The SHR data submitted by Florida and Washington, D.C., did not meet
UCR guidelines and were not included in this table.
- The FBI received limited SHR data from Illinois.
- The data used in creating this table were from all law enforcement
agencies that submitted supplemental homicide data for 2007.
- The weapon totals are aggregated from all murders for which the FBI
received supplemental homicide data for calendar year 2007.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail
at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone
at (304) 625-4995.