Table 9, Data Declaration
Offenses Known to Law Enforcement by State by University and College, 2005
Download Data Declaration
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- The information in this table represents reported crime from those individual college/university law enforcement agencies (listed alphabetically by state) contributing data to the UCR Program.
- Readers should take into consideration the size of enrollment, the number of on-campus residents, and other demographic factors when making any valid comparisons of crimes among colleges/universities. Variables Affecting Crime provides more details concerning the proper use of UCR statistics.
- The data used in creating this table were from all university/college law enforcement agencies submitting 12 months of complete offense data for 2005.
- The FBI does not publish arson data unless it receives data from either the agency or the state for all 12 months of the calendar year.
- The student enrollment figures for 2003 were provided by the U.S. Department of Education and are the most recent available. They include full- and part-time students.
- When the FBI determines that an agency’s data collection methodology does not comply with national UCR guidelines, the figures for that agency’s offense(s) will not be included in the table, and the discrepancy will be explained in a footnote.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.