Table 8, Data Declaration
Offenses Known to Law Enforcement by State by City, 2005
Download Data Declaration
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- This table provides the volume of violent and property crime offenses as reported by city law enforcement agencies (listed alphabetically by state).
- Readers should take into consideration relevant factors in addition to the areas’ crime statistics when making any valid comparisons of crime among different locales. Variables Affecting Crime provides more details concerning the proper use of UCR statistics.
- The data used in creating this table were from all town and city law enforcement agencies submitting 12 months of complete offense data for 2005.
- The FBI does not publish arson data unless it receives data from either the agency or the state for all 12 months of the calendar year.
- When the FBI determines that an agency’s data collection methodology does not comply with national UCR guidelines, the figures for that agency’s offense(s) will not be included in the table, and the discrepancy will be explained in a footnote.
The FBI calculated 2005 state growth rates using revised 2004 state/national population estimates and 2005 provisional state/national population estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. The FBI then estimated population figures for city jurisdictions by applying the 2005 state growth rate to the updated 2004 U.S. Census Bureau data.
If you have questions about this table
Contact the Communications Unit of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division via e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (304) 625-4995.